My Heart was in the Right Place!

Recently, a very good friend of mine suffered the loss of her father. He was diagnosed with Cancer about the same time my daddy had his stroke (July 2005). We have been friends for several years, but really became close when both of our fathers’ lives were threatened. She was one of my participants in a workshop I presented last year on digital storytelling. She told an amazing story about her special relationship with her father and how she desired for her children to experience special moments with their grandfather so they too would be able to know a special relationship with him. The story was awesome. I really felt like I knew this man although we had never met.

So, where does one start when trying to comfort a friend who has experienced such a tremendous loss? Most times the best comfort someone can give a friend, during the loss of a loved one, is a listening ear. With this intent in mind, I decided I must travel to Cumberland County and lend a listening ear to my friend in need.

I talked to the superintendent of the school district that my friend teaches in and he gave me directions on how to travel to the funeral home for visitation. I didn’t get away from Bowling Green until almost 7:00, so by the time I drove to Burkesville it was almost 8:00. I pulled into the parking lot, just as the superintendent had described to me, dashed into the funeral home, signed the guest book, and looked around, but didn’t see my friend anywhere. I thought to myself, she is probably in the back taking care of her children, so I’ll proceed with my visit and make my way toward the front of the funeral parlor. I was greeted by an elderly lady standing next to the coffin. She was sobbing! I can’t tell you how gut-wrenching it was for me to see this lady so sadden by her loss. My mind is in a whirlwind….thinking my mom would be reacting this same way if this had happen to me instead of my friend. The lady finally gathered the strength to ask me how I knew him. I said, “Well I never met him before, but I feel like I’ve known him forever! I saw a digital story that his daughter created about him and it was fabulous. And since that day, I really believe I knew who he was and more importantly knew what an incredible husband and father he was to his wife and kids.” The lady replied, “Really, which one of his children wrote the story?” I said, “Ginger”. She said, “He didn’t have a child named Ginger”. At this point, I’m ready to die myself. I realized I was at the wrong funeral home! Part of me wanted to laugh, but at the same time, here I am with my arm of love wrapped around this sobbing, elderly woman! Finally, I was able to gather enough strength myself to apologize and tell her that I was terribly sorry for her loss, but that I had made a mistake and that I was at the wrong funeral home. She was very kind and understanding and in fact she even pointed me in the direction of the other funeral home in Burkesville.

Now my first impression after my little mishap, which could possibly be labeled as my most embarrassing moment in life, was to simply keep it myself and no one would ever have to know but, upon a second thought I decided this was just too good not to share with all my blogger friends!

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a story! Sounds just like something I would do!

Unknown said...

I am cracking up! I have showed up at the wrong funeral home too, but I didn't get past the guestbook before realizing it...I can empathize! :)

Erica Simpson said...

Oh my gosh! Stuff like that used to happen to my Mammaw Nola too! They have a great story abouther going to the wrong room of a funeral home. :)

Staffanne said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Know that you are not alone in mishaps like this, because it sounds just like something I would do too. Like you said, atleast "your heart was in the right place." Sometimes that is all that matters! You are a great friend for making the trip!

Mrs. Wesely said...

We are certainly related. That's a story I can see happening to me some day. You are a great friend to make the trip. I hope your real visit to the correct funeral home was a better experience...

Carol said...

Oh Terri, that is so funny! I too can see myself doing the same thing. Funny, funny!

Wanda May said...

Terri, I always look so forward to reading your blogs. You are such a wonderful storyteller, so I was just so "with" you and EMpathizing with you, could see the little lady and everything, thinking you are the best...and you are, but here this woman is sobbing and I am cracking up. Thank you, Thank you...and boy can I relate. Glad you shared, I think me and you are old enough to think and know if "they can't laugh with us and not at us" their day will come and we will get to laugh again.

Emily V. said...

That is one of the funnier things I've read in a while. Thats so up my alley of classic EMILY. Good thing the lady was understanding to your confusion. What a story....

Stewarts' said...

What is it they say about good intentions? Ha! Glad you shared that one with us. Now I know I'm not the only one that does stuff like that!

I'd Rather Be Quilting said...

Hmmmm, maybe you WERE in the right place at the right time. It sounded as though that poor sweet little lady needed some TLC, and you were there to provide it. God puts us where he feels we're needed, and where He wants us.

Someday in the future, when the depth of her pain has lessened a bit, she will probably break out with a loud burst of laughter when she remembers what happened.

Lesley said...

So, so, funny! Reminds me of something my mom tells about my great-grandparents. She said years ago they would get all dressed up on the weekends and go to J.C. Kirbys - just in case there was someone there they might know!!

The Wonderful, Magical Night Gracie Was Born