What Happened to Me?


For some reason, I've always thought of myself as being much older than I actually am. I seem to have much more in common with my friends who are 10 to 15 years older than me as opposed to those my age. The other day, I stumbled across a website that I found to be very interesting. I inputted the year I was born and in return I received a plethora of information about the year I was born. Many of the facts confirmed my preconceived notions. For example, the year I was born, pantyhose became available in the United States. Now honestly, pantyhose have been around forever, just like me! I continued to read on and learn that The Beatles released their first recording the year I was born! Must I remind you that 2 of 4 Beatles are dead! Then as if that didn’t put the icing on the cake, I continued to read. Johnny Carson, who also is dead, made his debut as host of the Tonight Show the year I was born! I’m telling you, the image of me being "an old woman" was confirmed and all doubts were gone! Until I decided to scroll down a bit further and discovered other folks who were born the same year I was born. The list included Jim Carrey, Sheryl Crow, Jon Bon Jovi and Tom Cruise! Now I ask you, are these guys old? I think NOT! In fact, they all have very youthful looks; they are all thriving in their careers, and they are raising their very own, very small children! But look at me! I certainly don’t have the youthful looks of Sheryl Crow and I only have a few more years until I will be able to retire from my career! Then there is the clincher! My little girl is almost 28 years old and I’m a Gran!!! Yikes! What happened to me? How did I become so much older than those who were born the same year I was born?

2 comments:

Staffanne said...

Terri,
You should not perceive yourself as old! You are a precious person who is good to everyone and truly loves their family. I admire you a lot for the mother you have always been to Alison, and the wonderful caregiver that you have been to your father. I view you as a beautiful person on the inside and out. Cheryl Crow has had lots of face lifts and who knows what else to keep her youthful glow. You do not need any surgery because you are a beautiful person without it.

Lesley said...

You are funny, Terri! I love to read your post : )

The Wonderful, Magical Night Gracie Was Born